Sunday, May 18, 2008

Cleveland Marathon


All went well at the marathon today. I went out much slower than I ever have and what a difference it makes. My plan was to run at 6:45 pace through 20 then decide to stay or back down. I was right on the money the whole way. The first 16 flew by like a training run, and I have never felt stronger at 20 miles in my life. I ran with Tim Hackett through 19 something. I had to take a pit stop and it couldn't wait, so I told Tim to go ahead and I would try to catch him. Once I had taken care of business I set out to get him. At the 20 mile mark I could see him way up ahead, so I pushed a 6:20 mile from 20 to 21. I realized there was no way I could get my lost time back, so I hooked up with another guy who was starting to crash. He needed a 3:10, so I backed it down and helped him in. We both finished around 3:05. So I hit my overall goal of sub 3:15 for London, and more importantly got through a marathon feeling the best I have ever felt.


This was a great step towards some of my Summer goals.


It was great to see many of my running friends, especially Wyatt get under 3 hours.

5 comments:

Anonymous,  May 19, 2008 at 7:29 AM  

Nice work Jim! Wish I could have been there to watch you come in. One of these years maybe I could allow myself to register and run a shorter distance...

I was wondering during the race why I never allow myself to run the shorter distances too.

Soapin' Cindy May 20, 2008 at 6:45 AM  

Great job Jim! I got such a kick out of watching you run around the Galleria before the race! You're so hardcore...

Jim May 20, 2008 at 8:32 AM  

Not hardcore...just had to hit the bathroom!

E-Speed May 24, 2008 at 6:49 AM  

man I can't wait for the day I run a 3:05 and feel good afterwards :)

Great job out there and nice going on helping someone else achieve their goal!

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP