Thursday, January 1, 2009

Words are meant to be eaten

2009 is here and you would think that I would be focusing on the next 12 months, but it is not the case. I recently went on a trail run with a large group of people and realized that I need to set my next big challenge. I am reaching an age where PR's just don't come easy or often. So where do I turn? Well....I am going to enter the lottery for the Western States 100 for 2010. Odds are I won't get in. They only select about 30% of the people that submit entries. There are no special privileges either. A simple and pure lottery. Should I get selected I would have had to run at least 1 qualifying event in 2009. This will shape my 2009 running plans (in this order)...

Pittsburgh Marathon - This race is on May 3rd. There will be a few of us travelling to PA to run the re-institution of this race. I am going to follow a different plan this time around. I recently bought the Daniels Running Formula book and will use it as a guide. The trick to this plan is to get in two big workouts a week and supplement the rest of the week with easy to moderate mileage and effort. The structure looks interesting and it certainly will be a challenge. No time goals this time around. Just pure running.

Western States 100 - June 27th & 28th. No...not running the race, but pacing Connie Gardner. I should get a real taste for the event while running out West. If all goes well...I will submit my entry for 2010.

Burning River 100 - I need a qualifying event and this will be it. I vowed never to run a 100 again. Not because it was far or difficult (both being true), but because I didn't think I could have a better experience or performance at that distance. I was totally satisfied with everything that happened that day. I now realize that I can improve upon what I did. I can also crap out which is always possible. My training in 2007 was home grown by me. I have found a coach that will help me prepare for the BR100...and hopefully on to the WS100.

Obviously anything can happen along the way, but this is the blueprint for 2009/2010. If all goes well I will bake, bring, and serve the cake at the post race ceremony with the words "Never Again" written on it.

3 comments:

Steve Hawthorne January 1, 2009 at 10:18 PM  

so much for keeping thing below the radar!

Jim January 2, 2009 at 9:20 AM  

I had to say something after my discussion with Connie!

Nick B January 2, 2009 at 11:30 AM  

ah HA! Never again...I still remember hearing it. Congrats Jim on rejoining the ranks. While I'll never run with you during an event, I look forward to some training runs with you. For me, I'm keeping 50% of my schedule "under the radar" for 2009. No need to spill the beans just yet. See ya on August 1st at the Castle.

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP